Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Washer & Dryer

While folding the laundry after our trip to Sedona I was amazed at the strength of that red dirt. It seemed like none of it had washed out in the laundry. Nothing seemed to be any cleaner than before I had done the laundry. When I tried to rewash it I discovered that it wasn't that the dirt was so powerful. The problem was that my washing machine was broken. The clothes got wet, but the agitator had quit working and so my clothes weren't getting clean. It is my new washing machine too. I remember buying it right after my daughter's wedding twenty-five years ago. They just don't make things that last any more. After a bit of discussion and research we decided to buy a new washer and dryer. We wanted a new front-loading, high efficiency machine that uses less energy and less water and gets the clothes cleaner than the top loading variety. So for our Friday night night we went appliance shopping. Did you know that it costs a lot more money to get colored appliances? I like white best at that cost difference. We found just what we wanted and I was excited. I love getting new things. The price included delivery, haul away and installation of our new machines. When the delivery truck pulled up yesterday I was ready. I had purchased new, special detergent for front-loading washers. I had cleared out the laundry room. I had a big pile of dirty clothes. The young deliveryman looked at my old dryer and said he couldn't take it out. There is not an electrical outlet to unplug. Instead the dryer is hard-wired into the wall. I would have to get an electrician to come and disconnect it and put in an outlet. Then he looked at my washer and said he couldn't install the new one. I would have to hire a plumber because I had the wrong kind of drain pipe. I couldn't believe it. We have replaced them in the past without needing an electrician or plumber. The young man was very sorry but said he just couldn't do the installation. I sent my wonderful new front-loading, high efficiency washer and dryer back to the store. I am disappointed. We are in the process of figuring out what we need to do now.

Today I had to go to my daughter's house and do a pile of laundry.

7 comments:

just me said...

stuff like that is very frustrating - I hate when something that should be simple becomes so complicated. Unfortunately I have no sage advice for you :(

Linda said...

RYC: It helps when beautiful people like you are in my life. Thanks so much for the little piece of Sedonna.. I love you.

AM Kingsfield said...

That's a nice reversal of the mom bringing her laundry to her daughter - the opposite of college.

Jennie said...

I feel your frustration, everything in my house takes special consideration it seems. My washer and dryer are just about 20 years old, we've gotten them fixed a couple of times. I hope you get it all settled without much trouble...hardwired to the house?!

Sling said...

Dang..How disappointing to get all happy about new toys,and not being able to play with them.

rosemary said...

Irritating absolutely. We had a big mess with our dryer too....we use propane and had to get a special thingy. I have a white w/d too...they are in a laundry closet....who cares what color they are?

Middle Child said...

Its funny that about old and new...In 1985 Don and I bought a new fridge and washing machine when we moved into a house. We passed on our old fdifge and washing machine bought in 1978 to the kids. When we moved here all appliances were still going...the washings machines I had were used daily. We were going to pass on our old new fridge and washing machine to friends who needed them but some mongrel stole them out of our old home before they could be picked up...but they were still working.

We moved here 2004. Just last week the serviceman came to fix the machine fore the nth time and told me it was getting old and soon wouldn't have any parts for it. It is not even 4 years old...garrgh.