Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Painted Desert

The Painted Desert is a national park about 100 miles from Sedona. What an interesting, beautiful place it is! The sand is red and blue and green and violet. It looks like an artist washed the sand with color. Indians once lived here. You can see the writings they have left behind on the rocks. As I looked at these ancient writings I wondered what they said and if one day in the distant future someone would see my writings and wonder what I had written. Part of this area is a petrified forest. An ancient forest of great trees lies on the sand where it has fossilized into great rocks that look just like the trees they once were. These tree-rocks are beautiful. We stopped at an old car placed on the roadbed of Route 66. I traveled that road many times with my parents. It is now long gone, replaced by a modern interstate. Only a few of the old curio stores and Indian gift shops remain from that old road. Many memories of long ago travels returned as we rode along I-40.

This big country of ours has many beautiful and interesting places to enjoy. I love being able to see some of them.



Aren't we cute


Petroglyphs


Petrified Wood




Gramma and Samantha at Route 66

2 comments:

Sling said...

The Painted Desert,and Petrified Forest are two of the most stunning places I've ever been!
Lovely photos mom. :)

Middle Child said...

Wow...its so lovely.