Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Hot, Flat and Crowded

I have just finished reading an interesting, informative and disturbing book, “Hot, Flat and Crowded,” by Thomas Friedman. He says that global warming, the stunning rise of the middle class all over the world, and rapid population growth have converged in such a way that is making our planet dangerously unstable. We need to do something now if we want to save planet Earth for our children and grandchildren.

The problem is far greater than I had ever imagined. My noble efforts at recycling, while the right thing to do, just won't make any difference. There needs to be a global effort by the governments around the world to cause the kind of change the earth needs to become a clean, safe place to live.

We have polluted our planet with the wastes of fossil fuels, spewing CO2 into the atmosphere at alarming rates. We need to stop now. Alternate sources of energy must be found, developed and used now. There are no easy answers. It will take hard work, sacrifice and a lot of money to make it happen. Friedman does have a vision of a brighter future and many suggestions on how to make this happen. His suggestion are controversial and will be hard to accomplish. It is difficult to make people see past the immediate concern and plan for the future. I don't know if our nation has the political will to make it happen.

One of his proposals is to phase in a gasoline tax of $5 to $10 per gallon. Some of that money would be used to help consumers to trade in their gas guzzlers for smaller, fuel efficient models. He says the best monument to 9/11 we could erect would be mountain of crushed gas guzzlers. Raising taxes is always unpopular , controversial and hard. Friedman claims this is the best solution to helping us accomplish what is need. The tax would help to reduce consumption, shift people to more fuel-efficient models, shrink the amount of money we send to petrodictators, improve the air quality, strengthen the dollar and balance payments, help mitigate global warming, and give citizens a feeling they are contributing something to the war on terrorism.

Would you be willing to pay a large tax on gasoline to help save our home?

10 comments:

just me said...

if it would result in a hybrid car that costs the same or less than a comparable gasoline-powered one, I'd be all for it.

My kids are wanting me to follow AM's lead and get a Prius :)

rosemary said...

i agree with "just me." Steve wants to get a hybrid....but also wants to "wait"....for what he hasn't verbalized. We have a 1997 Ford truck that on a good day gets 10 gallons to the mile...we only use it to go to the trash site...but that takes a tank all by itself.

Jordan said...

I'm a climatology grad student, and am so happy that you've read this book(or for anyone who has read a book on the topic) and realized the truth in it!
I agree with everything you've said(and the book said I assume) and just wish it wasn't so damn hard to change things around and get through people's thick skulls.

By the way, don't think I'm too creepy for reading your blog; I just happened upon it from hopping from one blog to another!

Jordan said...

oh, and just to clarify: I'm Anita Pesses' daughter!

Mom said...

Well, hi Jordan. How are the wedding plans coming?

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm reading Jane Goodall's book, A Harvest for Hope, about how our high-meat diets and the global population explosion have lead to insane agribusinesses. It is alarming what we have done. America must lead the way. Can we change in time? I think the gas tax would be motivating. Ultimately, we are motivated by money more than anything else.

just me said...

AM - can I borrow your Jane Goodall book when you're done? Thanks.

John said...

Today is not the day for me to be commenting on any blogs. Just wouldn't be prudent. My checks and balances system is just not working well today.

Sling said...

I don't drive,so like the folks that don't smoke that laid a huge tax on tobacco,I say make 'em pay through the nose for polluting our planet!
Seriously though,I've been hearing quite a bit about Mr. Friedman's book.
The simple truth is that we are going to have to re-think everything we do if we want to pass a livable world on to our kids.

AM Kingsfield said...

Sure Just Me!