Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Lexie Sue


Eleven years ago today I was in the delivery room with my daughter as she gave birth to her third child. It was an unbelievable experience to be present with my little girl as she went through labor and delivery. I can find no words to adequately describe what it felt like to be present at that time. When the moment of birth finally arrived her husband stood on one side and I stood on the other as she delivered a beautiful, healthy baby girl. My little girl cried with relief and joy as she told me this baby would be named Alexandra Susan. This baby would carry my name. I cried at that and felt overwhelmed with joy. The new father and I stood gazing at this new life when I became aware of a commotion behind me. The obstetrician began barking commands. I heard words like hemorrhage, her pressure is falling, turn up the IV, may need to do surgery. My little girl was in trouble. I was overwhelmed with different emotions as I watched doctors and nurses rush to help her. Scared does not begin to describe the emotions surging through me. I don't know how long it was before the doctor finally said that it looked like everything was under control. They would keep my girl in the delivery area overnight where she would be monitored closely. If she was still OK in the morning we could assume all would be fine. All was well in the morning and the joy again overwhelmed the fear.
Lexie Sue is now a beautiful and talented young lady who brings this family great joy. Happy birthday Lexie Sue.

10 comments:

Sling said...

Lexie is beutiful mom! (I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that)..Look at that smile!
Happy Birthday young lady. :)

Middle Child said...

You never stop being a mum, no matter what. I would be terrified for my daughters to be in trouble like that. Life can turn on a coin.

She's a beautiful child. happy Birthday to Lexie

rosemary said...

Oh she is lovely.....happy birthday Alexandra Susan!

julie said...

Lexie Sue, I love you!

AM Kingsfield said...

She was worth it! But that was my grand finale in the mom department.

MarkEC said...

Happy Birthday Lexie! What a stressful time for you and AM. So glad it all turned out for the best!

So glad! :-)

Cazzie!!! said...

Hpw absolutely gorgeous! Lexie is a stunner :)
I love the story... it was as frightening as it was exhilarating... My Tomas too was born that year, in the April. Must have been a year for difficult after birth...with yet again, wonderful endings :)

Anne said...

Happy birthday Lex!

She looks like a winning gymnast in that photo.

walk2write said...

What a precious gift grandchildren are! And so are the excellent obstetricians who have saved a lot of mothers' lives over the years. You know, it wasn't that long ago when a woman had to acknowledge that becoming a mother was entering into a very dangerous occupation. We sometimes forget that it still can be, even with the best of care that doctors can provide. Happy birthday to your special girl!

Jennie said...

Beautiful little one! Your post brings to mind again how many joys and heartaches are in a mother's life.