Thursday, October 09, 2008

The election next month will mark the twelfth time I have voted in a presidential election. Six times I cast a vote for the winning candidate. Three times I voted for the Republican. I voted for Nixon, as did most of the country, and I voted for George H Bush. I will vote with the Democrats this election, meaning that nine times in twelve I voted Democrat. My first presidential vote went to Lyndon Johnson. LBJ for the USA was the chant around the country. It was shortly after the Kennedy assassination and LBJ was still riding JFK's popularity wave. He won in a landslide against a senator from Arizona, Barry Goldwater. I thought Goldwater was as scary as the current candidate from Arizona. I was afraid that he would take away social security and I was afraid that he would lead us into a nuclear holocaust. The times were scary. I remember lines stretching several blocks to vote in that 1964 election. People waited for hours. This is one of the ads run by LBJ that year.



I am more excited about and interested in the current campaign and election than I ever remember before. It is the first time I have ever felt strongly enough to donate my money towards a campaign. It has been a long, arduous campaign. I will be glad when it is over.

Who was the first person you voted for to be President of the United States?

10 comments:

Anne said...

I voted for the first time in 1980 but I can't remember for whom. Who was running? I was away at college so I must have voted absentee.

Tom and Nancy said...

Republican - Ronald Reagan
Democrat - Jimmy Carter (incumbent)
Independent - John Anderson
Libertarian - Ed Clark.

Remember the 1980 Iran hostage crisis? The hostages were freed just after Reagan was sworn into office...

Cousin Tom

Tom and Nancy said...

I meant to add...

I think 1972 would have been my first eligible year to vote in a presidential election, and I voted for the incumbent, tricky Dick, over George McGovern.

Cousin Tom

Sling said...

My first vote was cast for George McGovern.As a bit of trivia,I have never voted for a presidential candidate that actually won!
Mostly due to moving around the country at inconvenient times to register.

Middle Child said...

I first voted in 1972 0r 73...but for Gough Whitlam (Australia) who promised to get rid of all the US bases on Australian soil...they are still there, and secretly I am glad considering the simmering hatred the largest Muslim country on earth (Indonesia) has for us.

rosemary said...

The first time I remember being excited about politics was with McGovern. Whether that was my first time voting I don't know. To be honest, I am excited and nervous about this election. Which ever man takes the job will have his hands overflowing with problems. I do know for the first time, who ever wins, there will not be 2 Caucasian men in office.

Mom said...

Anne, 1980 was the year Reagan won for the first time. He defeated Jimmy Carter.
Cousin Tom - Interesting voting history.
Sling, I think you and about 4 other people voted for McGovern.
MC - We Americans have a hard time realizing that everyone doesn't want us to use their country for our purposes.
Rosemary, you were the other vote for McGovern besides Sling's. This year has been an interesting campaign.

Jennie said...

I guess I voted for Reagan first...don't remember. I do remember voting for Bush and then Clinton. I can't say that I am excited about voting this time at all. I wish I was.

just me said...

I remember 1980 - I was in college, too, and voted for Anderson. I went to a very liberal liberal arts college in Mass. We all went into deep mourning when "King Ronnie" was elected.

Ever since then, I have only voted democratic. So I, too, have a losing record.

IMHO, this has been the most interesting election since 1980.

Lorraine said...

Carter.

And I'll be glad when this is all over, too.

Obama 08!