Friday, September 26, 2008

NASA


This week NASA is celebrating its fiftieth birthday. For forty-five of those years my rocket scientist husband has been involved with NASA and the exploration of space.He has many memories of his years there. He remembers launching rockets from White Sands, New Mexico. He worked with astronauts Grissom, White and Chaffee and was stunned with grief when they were killed in a fire on Apollo I. He has worked with projects little know to the public and with one project that won Nobel Prize. He studies the outer reaches of the universe and looks at the light left over from from creation. He loves his job. He is a lucky man.

NASA has given us many advances in science and technology. For me the moments I remember are moments of great human emotion. Do you remember these words?

“Houston, we have a problem.”
“The Eagle has landed.”
“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
“The Challenger has exploded.”

Happy 50th NASA

7 comments:

Sling said...

Happy birthday NASA!
Your husband is indeed a lucky man to have been part of that history.
I am familiar with all those quotes,and even got to meet Lovell,Haise,and Swigert after their historic return. :)

walk2write said...

When spouses love their jobs, marriages usually become a lot easier to navigate. Thanks for reminding us about NASA's achievements as well as the "light left over from creation."

rosemary said...

Wow...a real Rocket Scientist....never met a real one. Quite the achievements...both for NASA and your husband.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'll never forget the Challenger explosion. I couldn't believe it, even when seeing it on tv. It was a similar feeling to the towers falling. I just thought cataclysms like that couldn't happen to us.

Lorraine said...

Pretty cool, Mom. Pretty cool.

Cazzie!!! said...

It gives me chills, It makes me thrilled, I just love it!!!

Jennie said...

Nice to be reminded of NASA's achievements. That must be fascinating to be closely involved. I remember the Challenger, my roommate in college coming in the door crying.