Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall




Today at 11:44:18A.M. EDT it officially became Autumn. I can tell by a quick glance in my backyard that Fall is here. My dogwood tree is covered in red berries and leaves are starting to change from green to yellow and red. The air is crisp and clean. I love this time of year. I love the colors. I actually like raking leaves into giant piles. Sometimes I still jump into those crunchy brown piles and am filled with laughter. I look forward to pumpkin pies, and drives through the colorful mountains to buy crispy apples and maybe a bag full of apple donuts.
My first memory of Fall came the year after we were married, 1962. We went to Sequoia National Park in California that September. Growing up in southern California I had never known any change in the seasons. That Fall the mountains were covered in bright yellow aspen trees quaking in the breeze. It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. I stood mesmerized by the color. The pictures we took then still remind me of that sense of awe I felt that year seeing those magnificent colors.
What memories do you have of Fall?

5 comments:

Sling said...

My first memory of Fall,is lying on the front lawn,looking up at the clouds,and imagining the different animals they resembled.
..Aspen trees are referred to as 'quakers' you know.

rosemary said...

Autumn is a wonderful time of year. I think of it as getting ready for bed.....taking off bulky day stuff and putting PJ's on ..... becoming quiet for the winter sleep. I am not fond of winter no matter how lovely fall is. I am a California baby too....my first look at the fall change was in 1989 when we first came to Idaho.

John said...

Burying my brother in a pile of leaves. It took em a year to find the body.

Tracy said...

Apple House doughnuts??? YUMMY!

We don't really have "fall" in California. We go from summer to fall (in November) in regards to temperatures but don't get any of the beauty that accompanies it.

AM Kingsfield said...

Hayrides
camp fires
hot apple cider
sweatshirts
toasted pumpkin seeds