Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day


When I was a little girl May Day was celebrated in a big way. At school we had a Maypole. It seemed to tower into the sky with its multitude of colorful ribbons hanging down. We children gathered around the pole and each held one of the ribbons. We then danced around the pole wrapping the ribbons into bright, beautiful patterns. It was so exciting. When we came home we spent the afternoon making little paper baskets that we filled with flowers picked from our yard. We would hang these baskets on the neighbors’ doors, ring the bell and run and hide so they wouldn’t see who had put the baskets on their door. It was wonderful fun and a lovely way to welcome spring.

My grandchildren don’t know about May Day. Does anyone celebrate with maypoles any more?

6 comments:

julie said...

Sue, did you paint the picture?

Mom said...

No, I'm not that talented. Thanks for thinking I could!

Linda said...

I was just telling Barry this same thing about May Day. When I was a kid we would pick flowers and put them in baskets on neighbor's porches, ring the bell and run. Why doesn't anyone do that anymore? I thought maybe it was just a southern thing--but didn't you grow up in California?

Mom said...

Yup, I'm a California girl.

AM Kingsfield said...

But her parents are from Texas

Red Seven said...

Dear Mom: I never heard of these celebrations before, but blog friends Lorraine and Lynette both remember May Day much as you do -- Lorraine still celebrates!!

Lorraine: dothedishesfirst.blogspot.com
Lynette: bigassbelle.blogspot.com

Cheers, E.