Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Last Will & Testament

This afternoon my husband and I spent an hour with the lawyer. We signed our wills and papers for a durable power of attorney. It was a very straightforward thing. The lawyer went over the papers and made sure we understood all the legalese. His secretary came in and the two of them witnessed our signatures and put a notary seal on them. These are important papers. Everyone should have both of these documents in this uncertain world. I am glad we have them. The business-like nature of the afternoon did not prevent a lot of emotions from running around in our heads. We have now made all the legal preparations to become old, sick and incapable of making such decisions and eventually dying. It felt a bit strange. I know these things are an inevitable part of life, but somehow it is peculiar to plan for your own demise.

Do you have a will?

8 comments:

Sandi said...

No I don't. something to get busy with I guess. I understand how that must be an odd feeling, though.

Linda said...

I have a will. A will to live. Some would say it's a strong one... Just like yours! I guess eventually I will have to have a paper one. But that would mean I wasn't going to live forever. Tsk Unhhh! I don't believe that of either of us :) We WILL find a way LOL!

AM Kingsfield said...

I am always surprised at people who are surpised that death is inevitable. I think a will is a couresty to those who love you. It's never too soon.

Even so, I hope those papers are not referred to again for a long time.

Tracy said...

Yep, we've got one. The main reason we have one is guardianship for the kids. We just met today with our financial guy and he told us that each state has it's own laws about honoring other states wills. He said every time we move to a new state (sigh... which is often) we have to make sure that the state will honor a will drawn up in a different state.

Mom said...

The lawyer told us that our wills will be honored in all stats, but in states west of the Mississippi the law is different in the way property is divided - something about common law in the east and statute law in the west. It is unlikely that we will move west of the Mississippi again.
How are you felling, Tracy?

Yolinna, I do plan to live forever - but not in this body. My new body will have knees that don't hurt, eyes that don't need new glasses, and I think I'll be tall and skinny. I plan to sit in God's beautiful backyard and smell the flowers, listen to the river of life and watch God's heavenly birds.

Sandi, thanks for stopping by.

AM, I am planning to wait a long time before enjoying life beside the river of life.

Tracy said...

Sue,
I am doing better each day just not the "immediate" back to normal I'd like. Recovery is slower than I'd hoped for.

Mom leaves Saturday. :-(

Anne said...

Mom, What if God has a different plan from the plan you think you have?

We have a will, but it hasn't been updated since the birth of our children.

Mom said...

Anne, I'll trust God's plan for me to be the best -but I can put in my request.