Sunday, February 18, 2007

Wine

One evening during our snow party at AM’s house we discussed several recent articles that said drinking a glass of wine everyday was good for you. The articles said a daily glass of wine would extend your life by several years. I enjoy living, so anything that might extend my life sounds like a gook idea. I grew up in a house where alcohol was never served. I rarely drink and don’t know anything about wine. I made the comment that I might try drinking a glass of wine, but I didn’t have any of those special glasses and didn’t know what kind of wine to buy. My loving and helpful daughters heard my problem, and they have tried to help their dad and me. This weekend to celebrate dad’s 69th birthday they gave him a set of wine glasses and six bottles of wine. There are three different varieties of wine glasses. The label says one kind is for burgundy, one for chardonnay, and another for Bordeaux. Then I looked at the wine. AM gave us white merlot, red Beaujolais, pinot noir, white zinfandel, blackberry wine, and one call Frutezia. None of those matches the kinds the glasses suggested. What kind of wine do I pour in which glass? Is there a school for wine drinkers? Maybe I should just drink it straight from the bottle. Do you have any helpful suggestions to make this all less confusing?

2 comments:

Linda said...

2 things:

First, It's all about whether you like things sweet or not. If you like sweet then you go for the Merlots and Sauvignon Blancs. If you don't, you choose "dry" wines like Pinot Grigios and the Beujolas. Course, there are major variations amongst them all, so you have to just keep trying different kinds and write down the ones you like.

Second, wine is addictive....LOL! Run away while you still can!!

Good site to explain it all: http://www.wine-pages.com/index.shtml

Linda said...

Oh and red wines go in the wider glasses so they can "breathe", white wines are usually served chilled in the taller, skinnier ones so they don't warm as quick.

I know way too much about this....would you believe I never had a glass of wine until I saw "Sideways" 3 years ago? Great wine movie by the way...