Friday, February 09, 2007

Love Your Enemies

I was looking over the lesson for my Sunday school class (I teach second graders). The memory verse for Sunday is, “Love your enemies. Pray for those who persecute you.” This is a hard teaching. I really don’t currently consider anyone my enemy, but I can remember times when I felt very persecuted. Loving my persecutors was difficult.

Are you able to love your enemies? What helps you to be able love people who are mean to you or, worse, people who are mean to your children?

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Maybe this is a cop out, but sometimes the most loving thing I can do is avoid them.

I think forgiveness is more intellectual than emotional. I can make sense of their reasoning, but I still don't like what they did. And because I don't have amnesia, I can't forget it either.