Friday, January 12, 2007

Washington DC

Last night our daughter, AM, treated us to an evening at the Kennedy Center. It was our Christmas gift from her. We saw “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf?” which is the story of a marriage from hell. You can check out her blog for a review of the play. The best part of the evening was the fact that she wanted to spend an evening with her parents.

We’ve lived in suburban Washington DC for forty-three years. I am still surprised every time we go downtown to realize that we live here so near to this most powerful of cities. The monuments never fail to impress me. On our way to the theater we saw the dome of the Capitol Building and drove right by the White House. We went by the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. We walked along the terrace of the Kennedy Center and admired the National Cathedral and the multitude of lights reflected in the Potomac River. This truly is an impressive city. I love that I am able to visit there and still be impressed by all the history that is reflected here.

Where do you live? What impressive sights are part of your world?

2 comments:

Otis said...

Mom, I'm envious of you. That must have been a wonderful treat.

I've never been to Washington...I should go there and would love to do so.

I live by the ocean on the Gulf of Mexico...I love the weather in the winter...today I have on shorts and all of the windows are open. We even slept with the bedroom windows open last night. Summers are a different story...South Texas is HOT!

I'm most impressed by the Padre Island National Seashore. It's about 15 minutes from me. You can travel almost 65 miles down the beach.

It is wild country...it's the only place I've ever been where there are rattlesnake warnings on the beach!

I like the Tex-Mex feel and the history of San Antonio too...that's the nearest big city...2 hours driving.

Mom said...

Your beach sounds wonderful - except for the snakes. I hate snakes. My grandparents lived in San Antonio so I spent many of my summers there as a kid. I loved the zoo and the Riverwalk. We went to the Alamo every summer. I spent one summer in Corpus with relatives. My main memory is how bad the pain of jelyfish sting can hurt.