Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Luther King Jr


Today is a holiday set aside to honor the work of Martin Luther King Jr. Today I went to an ecumenical service to honor his life and accomplishments and spent some time reading, “Letter From a Birmingham Jail.” Today the world is better because of the work of King.

I grew up in a white only world. It wasn’t exactly segregated; there really were no people there to my knowledge except people who resembled me. Negroes lived in The South or in Africa. I lived in a small Southern California town. Everyone I knew was white, protestant, and middle class. If there was racism it was far away and not part of my world.

Today my grandchildren live in a very different world. Their world is a diverse place populated by people of different races and different religions. They judge their friends by character, not by race or religion. My grandchildren are aware of racism and believe it to be an ugly, evil thing. My grandchildren are living part of Dr King’s dream. There is still much that is wrong, but I am thankful that we have come this far.

The picture is a drawing I made of my two grandsons enjoying a day at the beach.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Sue,
What a beautiful drawing. You are very talented.

Linda said...

WOW! You never cease to amaze me--what other talents do you have hiding up your sleeves? Hmmm, I think Tracy may have a new set buddy.....

AM Kingsfield said...

It was my favorite Christmas present.
I'm glad my children are growing up in a diverse community.