Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Marriage

Recently my blogger friend Greeny said that I should pass on some secrets I’ve learned about a long and happy marriage. I have been thinking about that and decided that I really don’t know any secrets. I could talk about unconditional love, forgiveness and commitment to one another and marriage, but what I have finally decided is that I was just lucky. We were very young and naïve when we married. We were “in love.” We really did not know each other very well and certainly had no idea about how much pain and junk life can throw at you. Marriage has to be a commitment by both partners. If either one decides to quit there really isn’t much the other can do about it.

I was just lucky. I have a husband who puts up with me when I’m not easy to love and somehow lets me know he loves me anyway. In forty-five years we have survived a lot of pain together. We have also experienced life’s greatest joys together. Now we know each other. We are no longer just “in love.” Now we truly are part of one another.

My advice is to pick very carefully and pray that you are lucky.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Just because a couple stays married doesn't mean they are happy. You two have managed both. You give a lot of people hope.