Monday, October 02, 2006

Talking to Strangers

Would you tell a stranger things you would not tell a friend?

My seatmate on our recent flight was a woman just a bit younger than me. When I sat down she was looking at a handful of seashells. She then proceeded to tell me about gathering the shells with her granddaughter and how she missed her extended family. Her significant other had just died very unexpectedly and she was having a hard time coping with life. I heard all sorts of personal details and difficult emotions. My comments were “I’m sorry”, or “That must be hard.” On previous flights I have listened to people share emotions about broken hearts or job loses or difficulties with their children. Why do people tell me all these stories? I don’t know them and will probably never see them again. Is that why? Is it easier to talk to a stranger?

Have you heard some interesting stories from strangers?

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Strangers can seem safer. Generally they are less judgemental. They don't have to be faced tomorrow. That's why there are so many bloggers out there.

She kept talking because your little comments encouraged her. You are easy to talk to.