Monday, October 23, 2006

Knee

I went to see my orthopedic surgeon today. He told me just what I expected him to tell me. The cartilage in my knee has two large tears. If I don’t do something the knee will stay inflamed which will lead to arthritis and degeneration. This happened to my other knee and I had to have it replaced six years ago. That was not fun. All I need now is arthroscopic surgery. That is a same day procedure. He will repair the torn cartilage, I’ll be on crutches a couple of days, and then I will be all better. No more knee pain. The success rate is 95%. The main complication is post-op infection, which happens about one percent of the time. There is a remote possibility of a blood clot, less than a one percent probability. I told him to go ahead and schedule the procedure. A procedure sounds less frightening than surgery. I know this is a minor surgery, but it is being done on me, and that makes it major. I am sure I will be fine. I am afraid.

3 comments:

julie said...

I wish I was there to help take care of you after your "procedure". I remember how it freaked Ann and me out when you had your knee replacement. We thought you were going to pass out and the nurse kept making you walk. At least this time won't be like that.

AM Kingsfield said...

ooohhh, I hated that too. That nurse was so mean!
This won't be near so bad. Then we can build back up to long walks again.

Linda said...

On the Body Metaphor charts the knees are reflective of needs. They also represent fear of change. Could it be you are afraid of your "kneeds" changing? Or is that just a bunch of whooey? Maybe what you really kneed is a nice long restorative yoga session after your procedure....that can be arranged!
Thank you for your warm words and kind support, you and Dennis are the epitome of the Body of Christ. I am blessed to have you in my life.