Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Peace

One of my favorite hymns begins, “Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin; the blood of Jesus whispers peace within.” Then I read the newspaper and watch the evening news. I truly do see a dark world of sin and wonder about this perfect peace of which I sing. Is it possible to really live in perfect peace in a place where terrorists murder innocent children, where a sniper picks a gun and begins shooting just to see how many innocents he can kill? Our world is unsafe and evil is all around us. Must I arm myself and learn how to shoot a gun in order to have peace? Would that make me feel safer or less afraid? Somehow that thought only makes me feel more afraid. I can imagine a scenario where I could entertain the idea of murder, but I have not actually been in that situation. I do not want to prepare to do something that I should never have to do.

Where is peace? I find it only in a faith that transcends the fear, even when I am afraid. I find it in the arms of a good man who loves me even when I am angry. I find peace rocking a sweet baby and holding this innocence close to my heart. I see hope in groups of teenagers working together to help someone less fortunate than themselves. I find faith beside the bed of an old man who is dying but looking forward to what is yet to be.

“Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown;
Jesus we know, and he is on the throne.”

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Remember after 9/11 when the government told us all, "Don't be afraid. Be prepared." Sometimes it's hard not to be afraid when you are being prepared. Depends what you are preparing for I guess.
I'm counting on the next world being far better than this one. I'm trying to delight in the good things about this world, but try as I might, I can't ignore the bad.