Sunday, August 27, 2006

Strange Man

Sometimes I wonder if my husband and I have anything in common. There are all the children and grandchildren and forty-five years of being married, but other than that we are not much alike.

Yesterday we were running errands together. He was driving from the post office to the bank when he turned on a street that was not the usual route. I asked him why he turned on that particular street, and he replied, ”There is a 375 car parked on this street. I need to see it.” “OK,” I replied. “What is a 375 car and why do you need to see it?” So he explained that while he is driving he likes to find all the eighth numbers on license plates. I still did not understand. He continued to explain that he likes to find the numbers that represents eighths in decimals, like .125, .250, .375, .500, etc. Since he has been entertaining himself for a while with this license plate number game, he now knows where cars are parked in town with all the numbers he needs. Its not fair to go out of the way to see the right number, but you can go a different way if it gets you there in the same amount of time. He is easily entertained. I enjoy watching flowers and people and beautiful skies. It never occurred to me to look for eighth license plate numbers.

He is a little strange. But I think I will keep him.

3 comments:

julie said...

I absolutely love all of Dennis' quirks. Those are the things that make him who he is. I will have to check my license plates because I don't know if I have an eighth one or not.

AM Kingsfield said...

Can you imagine if he hadn't lucked into you? He probably hadn't intended for his little OCD tendencies to be published on the www.
No wonder I'm weird!
I love both of you fiercely!

Otis said...

This is hobby that I've not heard of before.

I wonder if there are others in his circle of friends that are in competition with one another to find eigth mobiles?