Saturday, August 19, 2006

Abrakadoodle

“Look at my blue cow!”” I made a purple turtle.” “Look at mine.”

I heard these and many similar exclamations of joy today at the “Back to School Bash” at our city’s gym. I was there helping my first born in a booth she had at the Bash to entertain the kids and advertise her art education business. We had paint and markers and lots of creative young minds crowding our booth all day. While I helped the young artists my daughter explained her art education program to their parents. She runs the local Abrakadoodle franchise, which specializes in teaching kids various kinds of art. The kids were having a great time. One of the nice things about art is that there is no wrong way to do art. The kids have such a good time. I think my daughter loves her job as much as the kids love to create. She loves the kids. She loves the joy she sees in their faces.

Do you have a job that you love? What makes a job fun?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic job! I would find an artistic education job so rewarding. It would be like playing all day. Mind you, I know education is NOT playing but the art side of it would make it feel like playing! When I was in 8th grade, I went to see my counselor to find out what classes I should take so I could get an art degree. I didn't follow up on that but my life as my sister's and mother's lives are filled with art and crafting things from our souls.
Our elementary art teacher is exquisite with amazing energy and creativity and she is by far the most inspired art teacher I know.
And she happens to be a good friend of mine. The kids are very lucky to have someone who leads them into places of art they would never visit.
You're in a ahndy position to experience kids at their best. Lucky you.