Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Obits

What do a World War II flying ace, a tenor, a nursery school teacher, a graphic designer, a homebuilder, and a Foreign Service officer have in common? All of them had obituaries in this morning’s paper. It seems very inadequate to have an entire life reduced to just two or three words.

I wonder what words will define my life. Nurse? Homemaker? Sunday school teacher? Blogger? All of those are accurate, but they seem so incomplete. It doesn’t mention my laugh, which can be heard above everyone else’s in a noisy room. It ignores my love for listening to people and the stories they tell. My faith, which is the thing that sustains me, is ignored. The joy my family and friends bring me is not mentioned.

What few words do you hope will define your life?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Committed and devoted mother, caring daughter, and understanding friend". My life will have been completely full with those acknowledgements on my gravestone. Maybe something about howmuch I loved George Jones, too.