Sunday, January 24, 2016

Football



24.  Football



            I am really not a very big football fan. I do cheer for my Washington Redskins, but being a Redskins fan tends to temper my enthusiasm for the game. I despise the NFL. The league is a big, greedy corporation with no concern for the players.  But there is something wonderful about football. Love for football seems to unite all sorts of people who otherwise would never speak to each other. Getting caught up in the excitement of a big game is just fun.



            Today the Denver Broncos beat the New England Patriots. I know my son-in-law and others are disappointed but I am glad they won. Gramma Kay would be so happy.



            My in-laws were huge Broncos fans. They loved watching and rarely missed a game. One Sunday afternoon in 1986 they returned from church and had just settled into their chairs to cheer for their team. Life was good. The game began when Kay turned to Bill. He had slumped over. She jumped up to help, but he was gone. She called 911. The ambulance came and took him to the ER. Her son raced to the hospital. Bill’s heart just quit. It was so sudden and so unexpected. It was so hard to believe. We were all stunned. Riding home from the hospital she suddenly remembered the game. She asked “Did the Broncos win?” On the worst day of her life football gave her something to smile about.



 I am always happy when the Broncos win because it would make Kay so happy.