Thursday, October 14, 2010

Two of My Favorite Things

There are two inventions that have made my life immensely better.

The first is the mute button on my TV remote control. The airwaves have been totally polluted with obnoxious advertisements. During this election season whenever a political ad begins I happily hit my mute button. The lies, innuendos and half truths are silenced. An ad begins that extols the wonder of a pill that enhances a man's erectile function and I hit my mute button. I just don't want to hear it. I also hate ads for feminine hygiene products. It just seems some things should not be shouted into my living room. My mute button is a great stress reducer in my life.

What advertisements make you hit the mute button?

The other invention that improves my life and reduces it's irritations is the caller ID on my phone. I think ninety percent of calls made to our house are junk calls. If you call from an 800 number or the ID shows up as an unknown caller I don't answer. I miss lots of pushy salesmen and lots of politicians that way. I figure if it is important the caller will leave a message. The fact that I own a phone does not mean I have to talk to you. I love my caller ID.

Do you screen your calls?

12 comments:

Random Thinker said...

I hate commercials. I tape most of my shows so I can zip right through them.

I say the same thing about phone calls. It drives my husband crazy that I don't jump up every time the phone rings. The phone is not my puppet master.

poet said...

love mute on remote. though we don't watch a lot of television, it is a most handy button.

caller ID, what a great invention. we are also 'call screeners'. i have one more favorite thing, tho....home computers with internet--fabulous invention to 'reach out and touch someone'
after all, if not for that, there would be no this. have a great day~

just me said...

we don't have caller ID, but if we're eating - or otherwise busy - we let the answering machine pick up. nine times out of ten, the person (or robocaller) hangs up.

Barb said...

I tape most of the programs I watch on my DVR. I then just fast forward thru all the commercials. Remember when TV's had no remotes? You only had a few channels to watch and you had to get off the couch to go turn the channel knob! Oh how technology has evolved thru the years! :)

Tracy said...

Sue,
We have Ooma phone service(it's free) and there is a feature that you can block selected numbers from calling you. When I get an 800number I go on the website and block it and they don't call anymore. I can choose if I want it to ring endlessly or a message that tells them their number has been blocked and several other options. It's fabulous!

Jennie said...

I love those two inventions too. I don't listen to any commercials. Once I heard someone ask if I'd allow any tom dick or harry to pop into my living room for 5 minutes and try and sell me something and of course, no! So from then on I muted.
Also hearing my young kids saying things like: But Mom, Fruit Loops are good for you - they have essential vitamins and minerals!!!

Cazzie!!! said...

I do not watch too much TV these days, and during ad breaks I get up and do some housework or go to the toilet, lol. The telephone, I screen by calls yes I do... and I may go on the "do not call" register yet. Not sure if it works or not.
I love mute buttons... I wish I had a remote to mute people sometimes, lol

Miss Healthypants said...

I absolutely agree with you on both of these...I am sooo sick of political commercials, and telemarketers.

rosemary said...

I like both of those and my DVR....I can just fast forward thru those commercials.

AM Kingsfield said...

One of the few things Congress could agree on this year was a law to regulate the volume of commercials. Did you notice how loud they were? You're watching a show and then someone is shouting at you.

I miss a lot of commercials thanks to the DVR & the fast forward feature, which I love. Such a time saver!

Middle Child said...

The only phone we had as a child was at the Taxi Company next door and for only emnergencies

FoxyMoron said...

Thank goodness it's not just me who feels that way about the phone. My husband too always felt that the phone owned us not the other way around.