Friday, July 30, 2010

Pendelton & Walla Walla

One day we left our boat and drove into the little town of Pendelton, OR. This is a town where the Old West is still alive and well. It is the home of world's largest rodeo. While we were there I joined in with some friends for a friendly game of cards.

Walking down the main street I ran into my old friend, Betty Boop.

We went over to Hamley”s Saloon for lunch and had a drink at the very same bar where folks like Teddy Roosevelt, Wild Bill Hickok and Annie Oakley had been before. I could feel their spirit of adventure just oozing out of the wood of that bar.

Another day we went into Walla Walla, WA. I love saying Walla Walla. It just makes me grin. It is said that Walla Walla is so nice that they named it twice.

We learned about the fine art of wine making in Walla Walla. The countryside is full of beautiful vineyards and wineries. Did you know that a French oak wine barrel costs over $1000?

After sampling many of the wines we headed back to our floating hotel for one more day of adventure.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh it looks like such a great vacation! I hope you won at poker, but those guys sure had some serious poker faces. :)

Middle Child said...

Thats some big bar - a you must have "wine tasted" thats my eldest sisters most favourite occupation on holidays, The photos are excellent

AM Kingsfield said...

Which winery did you visit? I sure hope you didn't bring any home in your suitcase!