Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Family


As we drove toward Fort Lewis, I could feel a growing excitement and nervousness. I was going to meet a daughter-in-law and teen aged granddaughter I had only just learned about a couple of months ago. I had talked to Pam on the phone several times and she seemed very likable and seemed to be happy about our visit, but still it all seemed a little strange and unreal. We called from the gate and she came to meet us and help us get through security. I told her I would be wearing a pink cap so she would recognize me. When she arrived there were big hugs all around. I did not cry. Getting through the paper work and security kept us business-like until we got through the gate and home. When we stepped into the house we had a welcome committee waiting for us. Our newest granddaughter, 15-year-old Courtney, was there with Pam's parents, Evelyn and Dick, who were visiting from Iowa. We began to talk and share pictures and stories and laughter. It did not take long to feel like we were at home with family.

It was obvious the our Todd had found the perfect woman to be his wife. Pam adores Todd and is so proud of her soldier. Courtney refers to him as Dad. They are counting the days until he returns home again.

Todd called the next morning. For the first time in more than eight years I heard his voice. He sounded so good. I cried.

Yesterday I called my granddaughter in Louisiana, Todd's daughter Michaela. She was excited because her dad had just called her from Iraq. She said, “Gramma, I think my dad has finally grown up.” She too is now counting the days until her dad comes home and she can see him again.

We took this picture after lunch just before we left. I love my growing family.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

What a lovely story!

Tracy said...

I am crying too.

I'm so happy for Todd, his wife, and all of his family.

Sounds like a lovely visit.

Jennie said...

Nice of you to share them with us! That's really wonderful.

just me said...

that's awesome, Sue! you deserve all the happiness this world can provide. and these new family members are lucky to have you.

Miss Healthypants said...

What a great experience! :) Sooo happy for you! :)

AM Kingsfield said...

wonderful!

Middle Child said...

I am so happy for yout hat it all worked out so well...it must be a wonderful feeling to be back in touch with todd again after all this time