Thursday, December 04, 2008

Astronomy



My astronomer took this picture as he left work one evening this week. He loves it when the night sky does something spectacular. Seeing the moon between Venus and Jupiter fits his idea of spectacular. He called to make sure I went outside to see this unusual sighting. It is unusual to see such bright stars in the evening sky. I was glad he made me look skyward.

According to Bob Ryan, our local TV weatherman, if you took one trillion dollar bills and stacked them end to end, they would reach from the U.S. treasury building to the planet Venus. Venus is far away. One trillion is a very big number.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a cool picture! Must be nice to have someone who knows what you are looking at in that big night sky!

rosemary said...

I finally get it....(joke coming).....the folks on Venus are going to fund the bail out, right? A trillion dollar miles....get it?????

really cool picture....your astronomer is pretty cool to call and tell you to look at this.

Sling said...

I viewed this through my telescope.
It was pretty impressive!
..Your astronomer took a great picture!..I tried,but my camera just wasn't good enough in that light.

AM Kingsfield said...

Ha Ha Rosemary! Good one!

Cazzie!!! said...

I so tried to take an image of this, my son informed me it would be happening, a smiley face in the eastern sky...and it was! I love it..ahh, I love the stars :)

Miss Bunny said...

What kind of camera did he use use? Very nice!