Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I just finished reading a good book and don’t know what to do with myself. I’ve been living the story of two women living in the tumult and violence of Afghanistan for the past thirty years. The book “ A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini described the personal story of people trying to raise families and go about the business of life in a world full of political upheaval and war. It is a powerful story that helps me understand the overwhelming problems in Afghanistan. In spite of all the pain and tragedy this a story of hope, courage and victory. I highly recommend it.

The book lists some of the rules imposed by the Taliban on these people.

· All citizens must pray five times a day. If it is prayer time and you are caught doing something else you will be beaten.

· All men will grow their beard. The correct length is at least one clenched fist beneath your chin. If you do not abide by this you will be beaten.

· Singing is forbidden.

· Dancing is forbidden.

· Playing cards, playing chess, gambling and kite flying are forbidden.

· Writing books, watching films, and painting pictures are forbidden.

· Special rules for women.

· You will stay inside your homes at all times. It is not proper for a woman to wander aimlessly around the streets. If you go outside, you must be accompanied by a male relative. If you are caught alone on the street you will be beaten and sent home.

· You will not under any circumstances show your face. You will cover with a burqa when outside. If you do not you will be severely beaten.

· Cosmetics are forbidden.

· Jewelry is forbidden.

· You will not wear charming clothes.

· You will not speak unless spoken to.

· You will not laugh in public. If you do you will be beaten.

· You will not paint your nails. If you do you will lose a finger.

· Girls are forbidden from attending school.

· Women are forbidden from working.

· If you are found guilty of adultery you will be stoned to death.

The faithful of the Taliban thought they were imposing the will of God. I find that frightening.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

I too find that very frightening. Did you read his first novel about Afghanistan, "The Kite Runner?" The movie "Osama" is about living in a Taliban-ruled Afghanistan and a young girl who disguises herself as a boy to get an education. Very sad but worth renting. We are incredibly fortunate in this country.

Tracy said...

I read the book too and loved it. I couldn't put it down. It is so hard to really comprehend that there are those who are oppressed so much in this world. I wonder if they feel oppressed or if that's what they've only and always known, the oppressive part isn't felt.

It's amazing what we (humans) do "in the name of God."

Sling said...

Religion should comfort you,..anything else is crap.

Mom said...

Sandi, I did read Kite Runner.It was fascinating. I would like to see that movie. Afghanistan is beyond easy fixes.

Hi Tracy, The book spoke of the comfort of being unseen provided by the burqa, but also about the oppression it revealed. With the changing political structure, the burqa was not always required.

Sling, amen and amen!

Unknown said...

Ugh, it's hard to read coming from complete and total freedom in comparison.
Sling has it right.

Simon said...

Im the same with a good book - for example, one of my favourite authors is Stephen King. He has a new novel out over here called Duma Key which I will hopefully buy at the weekend. Now I know as soon as I start it I will read it in like, 3 days, and then be completely deflated because I've finished it! I love a good book, me.

Cazzie!!! said...

Very sad, and very frightening indeed.

John said...

I always wonder about other societies and how they get to the point of oppression. Is it a gradual thing? I would assume so. But maybe I am wrong. Kind of like tightening your belt. One notch at a time and then one day you realize that you can't breathe.