Thursday, April 28, 2011

Seasons of Love

One of my favorite songs is from the musical Rent. “Seasons of Love” keeps repeating a phrase about the 525, 600 minutes that make up a year. Then it asks how do you a measure a year, and answers “In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee; In inches in laughter, In strife. Measure in love.” In others words it is our many everyday moments that add up to make a year.

Next month will be my birthday and I thought I would honor that day by remembering some of the 525,600 minutes multiplied by my almost seventy years that have my made up my life. I'll try to share some of the ordinary moments that have made me who I am today.

This is one of my earliest memories.

I woke up in the dim light of my room. Pulling myself up on the side of my crib I look around at the familiar objects. Turning my head to the right I see the closed door. I know my mother is on the other side of that door. I turn my head to the left. In front of the window there is a rocking chair with a pink and blue blanket draped across it's back. I am aware of the sound of the mourning doves. The birds sound so sad and lonely. I wonder why they are so sad, and suddenly I need my mother. I call for her and she comes and lifts me out of my bed. We sit together in the chair rocking slowly back and forth. My mother's lap is warm and safe.

There are days now when my life is sad and difficult. On those days I remember that warm safe place in my mother's arms and long for that place of peace again.

5 comments:

booda baby said...

O, how seductive. What a temptation to want that sensation of warm safety provided for us (and what a treasure! that you have that memory!).

But I like the idea that this ordinary moment is not outside you, but really DID make you who you are. So you own the place of peace. You share it just by telling this story we can imagine so SO easily. Wonderfulness!!

rosemary said...

What a beautiful memory....sad and difficult are overcome with this. 70 will be a glorious age....looking forward to enjoying it myself actually.

Middle Child said...

That is so beautiful Mom, And no doubt your Mother is still there holding you as you sleep in those sadder times - Mine is

Middle Child said...

I love that photo - it is a real treasure

Random Thinker said...

We really don't know what it's like to be held like that anymore do we? Totally enveloped, totally loved. What a sensation.