Friday, April 01, 2011

Progress

It has been almost eight months since my foot surgery last summer. There have been times when I thought I would never recover, but on this first day of April I can say that I now believe I will indeed recover.

Two months ago I limped into the physical therapy office leaning on a cane. Yesterday I was discharged from therapy and walked out without assistance. I have not completely achieved my goal of walking a mile, but I can walk a third of a mile. I am not yet without pain, but I no longer need pain medicine. I can't yet stand on just my left foot, but I can stand on my own two feet. The rest of my recovery will just take time and persistence. Last week I returned my wheelchair and donated my wonderful knee scooter to the Lions Club.

Next week we are going to the beach to find out how far I can walk on the boardwalk. Life is looking good here.

4 comments:

Random Thinker said...

Good news. And just in time for the nice weather.

Tom and Nancy said...

I'm sorry it has taken such a long time but so glad you're making progress.
~Nancy~

AM Kingsfield said...

Standing on your own two feet is a wonderful accomplishment!

Middle Child said...

Wow - what a long haul - you are a tough one altho maybe you didn't feel so tough at times