Monday, February 28, 2011

Music


I am not a musician. I don't know any music theory. When the orchestra plays I cannot tell one instrument from another. I just know I love music. Music reaches down into my soul and stirs all the emotions.

Last night we attended a performance of the Montgomery Philharmonic. We went because the world's greatest daughter-in-law, who is my favorite french horn player, was performing with the orchestra. Last night one of pieces was Concerto for Solo Tuba by Arild Plau. It was magnificent. I never had heard a tuba anywhere except as part of a marching band. This was something entirely different. I did not know a tuba could make such beautiful music. After the tuba solo the orchestra played Shostakovitch’s Symphony #5. I loved it. I sat there and just let the sound wash over me. The music invoked all sorts of images and emotions. There were dark and stormy moments and times of peace and beauty. It was just a wonderful evening.

When was the last time you sat back and just let the music wash over you and carry you to another place filled with beauty?

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

How lovely. I miss my kids playing instruments. My Katy was a very talented musician with flute and cornet but it fell away as it often does. Em was also talented. I used to love hearing them practise, and going to their concerts.

Unknown said...

I love music, especially live music and an orchestra can bring tears to my eyes. I have always enjoyed my children's band concerts and parades.
You and your family are obviously very talented folks.

booda baby said...

What a great, great night!

We are truly and really lucky to enjoy easy access to great performances here and since A. is part of the music scene, we're often given tickets. That is one long way of saying, we get washed pretty often and wish it for everyone.

Of course, not everyone's up for appreciating it like you did, are they?

Middle Child said...

A long time since I did this - I must allow myself to do nice things - at this stage hearing beautiful music still makes me cry