Monday, December 20, 2010

"What's A Virgin?"


One evening just before Christmas, 1969, I was at the piano picking out some Christmas songs. My six-year-old daughter joined me on the piano bench and we sang together,“Silent night, Holy night, round yon virgin..,” when she stopped singing. She looked at me and asked,”Mommy, what's a virgin?” Ahh, one of those questions every mother looks forward to answering. I said something to the effect that Joseph didn't help Mary get pregnant like daddy helped mommy get pregnant. She looked startled and said, “I didn't know daddy had anything to do with that!” She then seemed to loose interest in the subject and went off to play with her little sister and brothers.

The next day my six-year-old went grocery shopping with me. I was in the check-out lane and she was sitting in the cart's child seat. Just as the clerk began ringing up my order my daughter decided she had one more question. She asked in a loud, clear voice for all the store to hear,”Mommy, just what did daddy do to help get you pregnant?”

That little girl is now the mother of two grown children. I have greatly enjoyed watching her answer their questions.

4 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

LOL! Oh my Lord, that is too funny! *giggles* I love it! :)

Random Thinker said...

That girl has impeccable timing.

poet said...

one of those "just wait til you have kids of your own.." kinda things. lol.

Merry Christmas to you too, thanks for coming over have a wonderful holiday with family and friends.

Middle Child said...

Hahahahaa out of the mouths of babes