Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Christmas 1989 & 1990

Some Christmas memories are melancholy and always bring a touch of sadness into the joy of the season.


One Sunday afternoon in early December 1989 we were sitting at the kitchen table when the phone rang. It was my brother-in-law calling from Colorado to tell us that my father-in-law had just died of a heart attack. His death was unexpected. He had been in the midst of a busy retirement and enjoying life. The day before he died he had put up the Christmas tree and gone to a children's party where he had played Santa Claus. That morning they had gone to church. In the afternoon he and his wife had sat down to watch their beloved Broncos play football. She turned to say something and he was gone. We flew to Colorado and drove across the snow covered mountains to be with the family. The mountains were beautiful, with all the small towns twinkling with Christmas lights. It looked like a glittery holiday card. Christmas lights reflecting on the snow always remind me of that drive and my wonderful father-in law. Bill was a good man. We still miss him.


Just over a year later we were again sitting at the kitchen table when the phone rang. This call was from my brother. After a very long, difficult illness my father had died of pneumonia. He had been in a nursing home for five years. His last years were hard. I was expecting the call, but it was still hard to believe that my sweet daddy was gone. We flew to California for the funeral. The church was full of friends and family who came to honor this good man. We flew back home on Christmas eve. My children, my grandchildren, and my mother-in-law were waiting for our arrival so the Christmas festivities could begin. My grandchildren were little and very excited about Santa Claus. It was a hard thing to celebrate that year. The joy and the sadness kept getting mixed up.

We love Christmas, as did our fathers before us. I feel their presence every year as we gather to celebrate the joy of being a family.

5 comments:

Deborah Hoppe said...

Joy and sadness get mixed up. I've experience that too. Let's always hope that our joy outweighs our sadness.

Miss Healthypants said...

This was a lovely tribute to two men who I'm sure were both great people. :)

Unknown said...

Yes, a beautiful tribute.
As adults, it seems trite to say make every minute count with those we love but it is a necessary reminder.

Cazzie!!! said...

These lovely people left part of themselves within you and it is marvellous to see and feel them with you at special times :)

Middle Child said...

Christmases are bittersweet - but because of the children we adults are forced in a way to ccelebrate as it would not be fair to show a sad face to children and young people on such happy occasions...sometimes i feel like there are ghosts around the table at Christmas - more so when it was held in my house. A lovely post