Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Winter Road Trip

I'm looking out the window at another school-closing snow. I'm very grateful to be looking at this snow from the windows of home. Maryland is better prepared to handle snow than Tennessee where it almost never snows. After two days the interstate and main roads there were cleared, but the side streets were never plowed. People in Tennessee don't own snow shovels and we never saw a cleared driveway. It seems they just wait for the snow to melt.

Our winter road trip through the deep south was a wonderful experience. Each day was different from the day before, full of different sights and emotions. It will take me a while to sort out the stories from this trip.


The best part of our journey was visiting friends and family that we seldom see. People are what make life's journey so interesting. After spending two night's snowbound in a lovely Hampton Inn we finally ventured out and made it to the home of our good friends, Guy and Joanne. We have been friends for forty-five years. When we saw one another the years fell away and we talked non-stop until sleep overtook us. It was so good to see them. We had to intended to see several other friends in Nashville, but the storm made that impossible. Maybe next time.


Our most unusual visit was with my first cousin, Dot. Last time I saw her she was an infant and I was a young teen. She grew up in Alabama. I grew up in California. We had very different childhoods and have led very different lives. Although she has memories of my mom, she has no memories of me. We had completely lost touch until last year when through the wonders of a facebook we found each other and began to get acquainted. We met at a restaurant in Birmingham where we talked until the place closed and they made us leave. It was so much to fun to learn family stories that I had never heard. She gave me a wonderful gift, a photo album from my grandparents golden anniversary party. It contains pictures of me, age sixteen, in charge of the guest book on that occasion. The cards and letters it contains are definitely from another time. I will have to share them in another post. The letter from my grandfather to my grandmother seemed sad and strange to me.

When was the last time you visited with old friends or long-lost relatives?

6 comments:

rosemary said...

I haven't seen my cousins in Virginia for decades. We email and share photos but that's it. We need to get together. Steve always is amazed when he is in states that are experiencing unusual weather...mostly amazed at the driving.

Tracy said...

Sue,
Guy and Joanne look great! It has been so long since I've seen them. Whenever I think of Guy, I think of 728b.

Glad you had a good trip!

AM Kingsfield said...

I think of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" when I think of Guy. What a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more stories. I am overdue for catching up with some old friends.

Random Thinker said...

I see most of my family pretty regularly. Although we did get to see my brother in law for the first time in 20 years. He came for my daughter's wedding. We stayed up late and drank a whole bottle of wine while we caught up and talked about old times.

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a most interesting trip! :)

By the way, I'm glad to finally figure out where you live--I always guessed somewhere in the Midwest--guess I was wrong. :)

Sling said...

There a so many things I like about this post!
1) People don't know how to drive in the snow..except us.
2)'After spending two night's snowbound in a lovely Hampton Inn'...That sentence doesn't convey frustration,and inconvenience..It hints at something more spiritual.
3)Ain't the internet great?..I just connected with my step-grandson through Facebook.