Monday, February 15, 2010

Liberal

I am a liberal person. Being liberal seems to me to be right and good. I don't understand why anyone would call being liberal a bad thing. I looked up some synonyms for liberal. I like all of them. These words all describe the kind of person I want to be. Synonyms include words like tolerant, broad-minded, bountiful, giving, generous and big-hearted. Antonyms include words like narrow-minded and stingy. I have always been taught that as a Christian I should be generous in my giving and help those who are in need. Being liberal seems to me to be a virtue.

My politics reflects my understanding of what I think is right. Giving generously to those in need, helping the weak, and being open-minded about things about which there are many opinions are things that I think are important. I see and hear these ideals voiced and practiced in larger measure by the democratic party, so I am a democrat.

I am disappointed in the failure of politicians in both parties to move past their short term political gains, their quest for power and their greed. I was sad today when Senator Bayh said he would not seek re-election because congress is broken. He sees no way he can effectively serve the people of this county in our corrupt and ineffective congress. The corruption on both sides of the aisle make it impossible to do anything that would be good for the people of this nation. It just makes me want to cry.

I don't know any way to fix what ails our political system. It is a mess.

9 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

I loved how you "defined" liberal here--I read it aloud to my husband--that was awesome and true!! *smiles* (Yep, I'm a true-blue liberal, too. :))

Anyway, I think our biggest solution is campaign finance reform. We need it sooo bad!!!!

Miss Healthypants said...

And as Christians, we can just keep praying for it, right? *smiles* Keep praying and hoping!--keep hope in your heart. :)

John said...

I agree. It's a broke system. And I don't know how to fix it either.

rosemary said...

I too am disappointed. I keep receiving nasty emails about our President and no matter how many time i ask to be removed from a person's list, they keep coming. While I am lacking in some of the liberal attributes I am tolerant and agree....the current political climate is a mess.

Random Thinker said...

Bless you Mom. It really should be about how we treat each other shouldn't it? The old "I've got mine, you worry about yourself" attitude gets us nowhere, except to exactly where we are in Congress right now. As sad as it is I have to agree with him. It must be hard to want to do good and not be able to.

just me said...

Senator Bayh, announcing his retirement yesterday, got it just right. Congress is a mess and nothing gets done because everyone seems to spend all their time trying to get re-elected.

Too bad he lost patience with it. We could use more people willing to work within the system to change it.

Sling said...

I am a liberal Democrat too,and would love to see some tolerance in Congress by way of bi-partisan effort.
Sadly,the Republicans clearly have no intention of trying to make things work,so I think we shold start playing hardball,and get some things accomplished using reconciliation.

Lorraine said...

I love this post, Mom.

AM Kingsfield said...

I agree with Miss Healthypants, but I don't expect the people who benefit from unethical campaign financing to introduce a law that will reduce their funding.

I can't help thinking that much of the vitriol about Obama has its roots in simple racism. There just doesn't seem to be any other reasonable explanation.