Friday, February 19, 2010

This & That

I finished the jigsaw puzzle that I started for entertainment during our first blizzard. I think that means our bad winter is coming to an end. The sun has been shining and my dragon's teeth icicles fell off the back of the house. The mountains of snow along the roads are starting to melt. I can almost hear spring coming.

I went to an Ash Wednesday service at church. I grew up in a non-liturgical religious tradition and the observation of Lent is a new thing in my life. It seems to me that many of the “sacrifices” people make during Lent have little to do with enriching their faith, but I do like the whole concept of spending a period of time giving extra thought to God and his amazing grace. I am praying my way through the Psalms as my Lenten discipline. Are you doing anything to observe Lent?

My newly retired husband has gone to NASA this morning to pick up his new badge. Is anybody surprised that he is now working part time for a contractor? He will be returning part time to his old desk doing the work he always enjoyed doing.

After missing rehearsal last week because of the snow it was good to return to practice with the senior chorale. Our spring concert this year will be a collection of songs from recent Broadway hits like Wicked, Rent and Les Miserables. It is going to be a fun concert. One of my favorite songs is “For Good,” from the musical Wicked. The lyrics say that people come into our lives for a reason. “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” Is there someone who passed through your life and changed you for good?

My younger son has had a serious weight problem for several years and seemed helpless to control his growing waist line. About six months ago he joined a new weight loss support group and found a diet that he has been able to stick with. Since beginning this new program he has lost 40 pounds and has shrunk his waist by ten inches. I am so proud of him. He is feeling much better and seems much happier with life because he has started to take off the pounds.

Life is just putzing along here. What's going on in your part of the world?

5 comments:

rosemary said...

I am not surprised at all that your husband has gone back to work. Bright minds just can't seem to let that learning and doing stuff go. I hope your winter is over....ours never arrived. I have not observed Lent in decades. I agree with you about the theory behind giving up something. If I was going to give something up it would be NOT staying home on Sunday and going to Mass.

Middle Child said...

I had relatives who were farmers - they only retired when one had a stroke or whatever...

they were amazing people

Random Thinker said...

I'm not much for depriving myself of anything. Good thing I don't observe Lent. Winter is plodding along with snow in the forecast for the next two weeks. But there is hope of spring as each day the sun stays up a little longer.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm no good at rules and restrictions. It seems if I say I'm giving something up, that's all I think of.
I'm excited for my brother's weight loss success

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, lots of good things happening in your life! :) And no, I'm not surprised that your hubby has gone back to work. :)