Saturday, January 09, 2010

This & That

My main occupation since the beginning of this new year has been trying to stay warm. My nose is cold. My ears are cold. My feet, hands, legs and all the rest of me is cold. When I go outside I waddle like a duck because of all the layers I wrap around myself in an effort to stay warm. The thermostat in my house says I should be warm, but it lies. I am dressed in warm clothes, wrapped in a blanket and I am still cold. I think they have canceled global warming.

We have a large bookshelf in our kitchen. When our kids were younger and the dinner conversation led us to a topic where we needed more information, I remember one or the other of us often pulling the World Book encyclopedia off the shelf and looking for answers. We had some interesting, unusual, perhaps even weird dinner conversations. Over the years the books have changed. I was sad when we decided to give away our encyclopedias, but the kids were grown and we no longer used them. This week I purged the kitchen bookshelf of books we no longer use and donated them to our local library. We got rid of dusty old Bible commentaries, novels I will never read again, collections of coffee table books with beautiful pictures and several reference books we no longer use. We needed to make room for some of the books my retired man has brought home from work. The shelf is now packed with books I want to read or read again, many travel books for dreaming about trips we would like to take, and lots of bird books for my husband the birder to peruse. There is a whole shelf of children's books. I just can't get rid of them or the memories that go with those books. Perhaps one day my great grandchildren will read them. I think a kitchen is more complete when it contains books.

We ate dinner at my daughter's house last night. After dinner the adults enjoyed a long, meandering conversation while the kids played Rock Band in the basement. I think singing with Rock Band is a lot like singing in the shower. You sing with great enthusiasm, but you really do not sound as good as you think you do.

I am reading, “Mysteries of the Middle Ages,” by Thomas Cahill. It is a wonderful book. Who knew a book about the history of the middle ages could actually be a fascinating and wonderfully enjoyable read?

What's going on with you so far in 2010?

9 comments:

rosemary said...

Yup, books in a kitchen...a necessity. I have one for making candles and potpourri...something I have always wanted to do. I always thought I was born in the wrong era...the middle ages would have been great because of the clothes, shoes and jewels....but, then, there is the issue of bathing, hair washing, hygiene in general, wearing all of those clothes in the heat and I still would have been a pauper in rags I suppose.

Sling said...

So far in 2010,we've had nothing but rain and fog..I think you may be right about them cancelling global warming.

just me said...

see this article from today's NY Times on why it's been so cold in the northern hemisphere this winter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/weekinreview/10chang.html?ref=weekinreview

Random Thinker said...

Weather is all haywire everywhere. We went to Florida for the holidays. It was chillier than normal. We went to Universal Studios and being from Michigan we were wearing capris and flip flops. We were actually standing in line with Floridians wearing mittens, hats and scarves.

AM Kingsfield said...

I like looking at people's bookshelves. They can be very revealing.

And it is freezing. I just looked at my thermostat.

Miss Healthypants said...

For a retired lady, you sure keep yourself busy--I love that! :)

We have no books in the kitchen, but two big bookshelves in the living room--and an itty bitty book rack in the--ok, I'll admit it--the bathroom. :) We're big on books in every room of this house. :)

Middle Child said...

You are cold... i am hot. A pun on your description of being cold if you please...

"My main occupation since the beginning of this new year has been trying to stay cool. My nose is hot. My ears are hot. My feet, hands, legs and all the rest of me is hot. When I go outside I waddle like a duck because of all the layers of sweat running down my legs (noice). The thermostat in my house says I should be cool, but it lies. I am dressed in cool clothes, stark naked apart from a singlet and pants and I am still hot. I think they have cancelled global warming instead its like being inside a furnace. gaarrrgh"

Mom said...

MC, are we on the same planet?

Middle Child said...

He wrote a book about the Irish I am sure. it was called "How the Irish Saved Civilisation" It was excellent and is one of the books I keep out in the main part of the house.