Sunday, April 22, 2007

Earth Day

About twenty-five years ago I met a vivacious little old lady named Mary Hupp. When Mary stretched up to her full height she was almost four foot, nine inches. She was eighty years old. I was forty. We shared the same birthday and celebrated together for several years. Mary loved me and wanted to do something special for my birthday so I would never forget her. She succeeded by buying me a dogwood tree. Today my Mary Hupp tree is covered in beautiful soft pink flowers. The tree, like its namesake has made my world more beautiful. It gives me joy to watch the tree change with the seasons and continue to make this earth a better place.

I think a tree is an excellent gift.

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Maybe your love for that tree is why I have always wanted one. Now I am enjoying my very own first pink blooms! I have found I enjoy the gifts I give myself!

Unknown said...

Hear, hear! Mom. I agree whole-heartedly!
Hope you're doing well.