Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Senior Ctizen Prepares for Christmas

My tree is decorated, and the gifts are wrapped and under the tree. I nibble on fruitcake while I bake cookies. A holiday special is on in the background, a program of lovely Christmas music as seen on public TV. My husband is sleeping in his chair. It is peaceful. All is calm as we wait for the big day to arrive with a house full of family and friends coming for Christmas.

One of the perks of retirement is the gift of time to prepare without the rush and stress of previous years. I listen to my children and friends as they try to squeeze working, family and all the preparations into too short, too busy days. I remember late night shopping trips and later night wrapping and hiding sprees. It was a lot of work. Although I miss the days of having a house full of small children and working full time, I find memories are much less work and can be selected to suit my mood.

All of you remember to breathe. The children will grow up too quickly. Make some wonderful memories today for the years to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen and I'm trying to remember to breathe.
Have a good weekend and Merry Christmas!

AM Kingsfield said...

frazzle is one our our traditional Christmas decorations.