Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas Families


This morning I helped sort food for the forty-eight families our church is helping this Christmas. This is the third year I have helped with this project, and I am amazed every year at the generosity of so many people. Our congregation is not huge, about 200 members, but they provide food enough for about a week including turkey and all the trimmings, plus clothes and toys for 168 children. This morning twenty volunteers worked bagging, sorting and labeling groceries for each family. Tomorrow more volunteers will check the gifts to make sure that each child has an appropriate gift and then wrap everything up. The people of the church donate all the food and all the gifts. It makes me feel good to be part of such a generous group.

What are you doing this year that makes you feel the spirit of Christmas?

2 comments:

Otis said...

Mom, one of the hospitals had a wish tree for kids in town with Christmas needs. My wife picke out a 10 year old girl and went wild!

Plus, we actually decorated the house this year. Over the last 2 years, we were either packing to move or out of town at Christmas.

It's nice to have that Christmas tree smell.

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas.

Unknown said...

That is a great feeling to help families in need. The Lions of our town get the kids to bring in canned or boxed food items in a contest to see who wins for the most brought. The teacher of the winning class is then "Turkey Teacher of the Year". Now, what kid isn't going to do their best to see their teacher wins THAT!?
We contribute heavily to that. We should do more.
Good Christmas music is what always puts me in the christmas spirit. I would love for my 2 urchins and I to go around town caroling but all I got was a "eewww" when I mentioned it. I did listen to my christmas cd yesterday while I was wrapping and baking.