Monday, June 11, 2012

Fiddler On The Roof


This week-end we went to see a production of Fiddler On The Roof at our local community theater. Great story with wonderful music. Anyone who has raised children and watched them grow up and leave home for lives of their own will identify with Tevye's struggles as his daughters make decisions that cause him to reconsider his faith and traditions. There are funny scenes that makes me laugh, “Would it spoil some grand, fantastic plan if I were a wealthy man?” There are sweet scenes that are so very true, “Sunrise, sunset.”

 Two scenes always make me cry. The second daughter is in love with a dissident who has been sent to Siberia. As she is boarding the train to join him she says says to her father, “God only know when we shall see see each other again!” Tevye replies, “We shall leave it in His hands then.” Have you ever watched your child leave home, not knowing when or if you would see him again?

The scene that is almost too painful to watch comes when his third daughter runs away and marries a man of another faith. This is more than Tevye can bear. He is torn between love for his child and the faith and traditions that hold his life together. Tradition wins and he rejects his daughter. He turns away and leaves her in tears. He says she is dead to him. This scene is heart-wrenching. I cannot imagine anything that would cause me to reject my child. I would be hurt, but I don't think there is a force strong enough to turn away from one of my children. 
 
I came out of the theater singing, “Sunrise, sunset, Sunrise, sunset, I don't remember growing older, When did they?”

My children have long ago grown-up and left the home of their childhood, but in my heart they will always be my precious little children.

No comments: