Monday, May 07, 2012

Nurse's Week

This is national nurse's week. To celebrate I thought I’d share one of favorite nurse stories. Thirty years ago I worked in a big inner-city hospital. It was hard work, but usually I enjoyed the job and loved taking care of those in my care. One day I was assigned to care for Agnes. Agnes was an elderly lady who had suffered a stroke. She was not able to do much for herself. I had spent a good deal of time with her that morning. I had fed her breakfast, helped her brush her teeth, given her a bath and even a back rub. I got her up in a chair and fixed her hair up with ribbons. She seemed grateful. I have a habit of singing while I do chores, and as I was changing her sheets I was singing a song without even being aware that I was singing. Agnes sat and listened for a while. Finally she said, “Honey,when you were young, I bet you could sing.” Do you know any good good nurse stories?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm just thankful your nurse story didn't involve me. :-)

Mom said...

Next time Tracy.