Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Notes From the Other Side

My friend Carol died yesterday. This poem, written by Jane Kenyon, is for Carol as she discovers life on the other side.

Notes from the Other Side

 
I divested myself of despair
and fear when I came here.

Now there is no more catching
one's own eye in the mirror,

there are no bad books, no plastic,
no insurance premiums, and of course

no illness. Contrition
does not exist, nor gnashing

of teeth. No one howls as the first
clod of earth hits the casket.

The poor we no longer have with us.
Our calm hearts strike only the hour,

and God, as promised, proves
to be mercy clothed in light.

5 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

I am sorry you lost your friend. I like that poem.

Tracy said...

Hugs to you to comfort you.
Thanks for sharing the poem.

just me said...

My condolences on your loss. May Carol's memory be for blessing.

Middle Child said...

Thank you for sharing the poem - it says it all. My sympathy for the loss of your friend

Miss Healthypants said...

This was a beautiful poem...and I'm so so sorry about your friend. (I'm just catching up on my favorite blogs right now. :) )