Monday, May 09, 2011

Mother's Day


My daddy would always try to sneak the white boxes from the florist into the house. Mom and I would look at each other and grin. Tomorrow was Mother's Day and we knew what was in those boxes. We pretended not to see what he had and wait for him to go upstairs. As soon as he left we ran to look in the refrigerator to admire our corsages. Mom's was always white because her mom had already gone to heaven. Mine was always red because my mom was alive and well. My dad adored my mom, and I always knew I was special because I was his little girl.

Yesterday I enjoyed a lovely day with my family. My sweet husband does not carry on the tradition of the corsages, but he always buys me a beautiful, sweet card. Most of the family gathered for a backyard cookout. The guys cooked while the women sat on the front porch and sipped mimosas. I have been well blessed to have a father who thought I was a princess and a husband who treats me like queen.

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Well you know what they say, if Dad treasures his daughter she will only choose a husband who treats her the same.
Sounds like you chose very well. :)

just me said...

you deserve every honor! my children enjoy having you as a surrogate grandma.

glad you had an enjoyable mother's day.

booda baby said...

That is just perfect, that you, in return, know how to treasure the men who treasure you. Very sweet. (although I'd have LOVED to read that the corsages still appeared.)

Middle Child said...

Focymoron is spot on - my dad was unknown to me at the time the model for the lovely man I spent my life with - they could have been brothers - not in looks - but in how they treated women