Saturday, March 26, 2011

The News

So how do you handle the news from around the world? I hear about wars, earthquakes, tsunamis, nuclear meltdowns, genocide, economic woes and nasty political attacks. Is there anything I can do about any of those? There is so much bad news that is bombarding us all the time. Sometimes I just want to go hide in a cave and wait until it all goes away. Unfortunately I can't really hide for very long, nor is there very much I can do to solve the big, awful problems of the world.

Here is my strategy for dealing with world problems.

1. I limit watching the news. I just turn off the talking heads that keep yelling,”Disaster, disaster, disaster!”

2. I find moments of peace. I find these moments in times of prayer, in yoga, and in swimming back and forth in a pool and just feeling the water flowing around me.

3. I do something good for somebody else. One of my better skills is listening, and it seems to help people when I just sit and listen to their concerns.

4. I laugh. Laughter is a wonderful stress reducer. Just look around and find the humor in your life. I assure you that are some very funny things going on in our world.

What are some of the ways you handle world news? Do you have a funny story that will make me laugh out loud? Where do you find peace?

3 comments:

Random Thinker said...

I don't watch news either. Non-stop doom and gloom box. I just try to focus on the people I encounter every day, friends and strangers alike. After all, the world is mostly made up of us ordinary people. A little care and consideration for each other goes a long way. Not only does it make life easier it restores my faith that we'll all be OK in the end.

Middle Child said...

As Mother Teresa said "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one" we have to understand we are not totally responsible for all the bad things in the world - just help one is good

booda baby said...

Niiiice post. I used to participate with alllll I had in projects and programs and non-profits, but ... I don't any more.

Now, I focus on contributing to changing the infrastracture to allow more people to be helped. Of course, nothing is quite as good (and comforting) as being in the field, helping with eager hands, but it's best to do what we do best.

(As an aside, I always hope that people truly know how much the dollar they contribute really and truly helps (assuming they've contributed to a good program). NGOs and non-profits genuinely understand that the greatest thing many people can do is support efforts financially.)