Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dust to Dust

“From dust you were made, to dust you shall return.” These were the words I heard as ashes were placed on my forehead yesterday. One of the main lessons of Ash Wednesday is that we are mortal. We will die. Live life now in the abundance of God's grace, knowing that this life is just temporary. There will surely come a time when I no longer need this body of mine.

With this thought in mind yesterday my husband and I filled out the registration for for the Anatomic Gift Registry. Perhaps I will yet get to go to medical school. Part of the form was our death certificate. We filled in all the necessary information, leaving only the date of death and the cause of death blank. When this body is no longer useful to me it seems like a good idea to let it be used for research to possibly help someone else to live a more abundant life.

Filling out my own death certificate was indeed a statement that I am living each day ready to die. Are you prepared to die?

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

Hahaha Ash Wednesday! When I was a little kid and living in a small town going to the catholic school - the nuns knew if you went to Mass on Ash Wednesday at 7am by the little cross on your forehead - one time i skipped this and hid from mum (who always went later in the day when we were at school - but by about 8.30 I got a bit worried they might notice i had no ash cross...so I went out to where mum threw the ashes from our wood stove (even lit in summer as we didn't have an electric one then) and I did the biggest blackest cross you have ever seen and off to school i went...don't recall getting into trouble but with my snowy blonde short fringe it had to stand out because people kept commenting on how big it was...