Sunday, January 08, 2012

Far Away

My grandson is in the hospital. He's in the Air Force stationed in Texas. I'm sure he will be fine, but he is far away.

My daughter came straight to me this morning at church and hugged me tight with one of those, “Oh Mom, I'm scared,” hugs. Her son had sent a text saying he was in the hospital having his appendix out. They had been asleep when he called and found the text just before coming to church. That's all she knew and that just was not enough information for his parents or his grandparents. He called later just as he was waking up from surgery, sounding OK, but a bit groggy. We are grateful that he is in a place with good hospitals and medical care. Appendectomies are routine surgeries. We expect he will recover without problem. But Texas does feel very far away today.

I just called the hospital, really just trying to find out which hospital he was in, and was connected to his room. He sounded good.

5 comments:

Tom and Nancy said...

We will pray for a speedy recovery! I thought of him the other day remembering your posts when he joined the airforce and you came to Texas for his graduation from bootcamp. My niece is currently at Lackland AFB in bootcamp. She is doing well, but it has been the hardest thing she's ever done.
Nancy

poet said...

hoping he has a swift & total recovery. it's difficult to be far away when the kids of grandkids are ill, glad you got to speak with him on the phone.

booda baby said...

You know what's nice? He's far away in body, but you all have him close at home and all wrapped up with love. That's wonderful. And how much better can it get? (I'm sure a few parents/grandparents have thought that it would be better if they were right there with you, but then that's not giving your children/grandchildren the freedom they deserve.)

Glad he had normal appendectomy (whoo hoo! Those DO tend to go pretty well.) I had the acute kind of attack and although that was a bit scary for everyone for a few hours, even it was a breeze when things got going. :)

Tracy said...

Glad all went well. If he's still stationed at the same base, I've got one of my dearest friends living in the same town. Let me know if I need to call her and have her go by and check on him for you. She actually works at one of the hosptials in town.

Praying for a quick recovery.

Mom said...

Our grandson has been discharged from the hospital and told to rest. He seem to be recovering well.