Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Blessings

Each day of this month of November I have been listing one of the many blessings in my life. I posted them of my facebook page, and it has been interesting to see how people have reacted to my list. I have more blessings to count than I have days in the month. It has been a fun exercise.

I thought I might try to make a list of things I hate to stand in opposition to my gratitude list, but I had a hard time coming up with anything I hate. I hate liver and pickles. I hate the helpless feeling that comes when people I love are hurting, and there is nothing I can do to make things better. My hate list is pretty short.

Today, in honor of Thanksgiving I will share one of my sweet memories.

The last several years of my dad's life were hard. His health had deteriorated to the point that he could no longer care for himself. The time finally came when the very difficult decision was made to move Dad to a nursing home. I flew to California to be with them during this hard time. The morning of the move Mom and I were up early trying to prepare Dad's favorite breakfast. Mom started crying. I started crying. We just stood there holding each other, trying to get through the moment when we both started to sing, quietly at first and then at the top of our voices.
When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one;
Count your blessings, see what God hath done;
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
 And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

We danced around the kitchen, crying and laughing and holding on to each other. Somehow the day that lay ahead seemed possible. Our blessings were greater than our pain.

Today I am thankful for the gift of song that makes the hard moments of life bearable.

2 comments:

Random Thinker said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mom!

poet said...

I am trying to get caught up on my blog roll. bad blogger i am. this is a good story and how good a positive outlook can be. hope you had a good thanksgiving w'end and that december and christmas will find you healthy and happy. take care~